How to support your child's student finance application

We’ve also created an evidence guide that includes important information you can use to find out what evidence you might need to provide. Remember, it can take up to 6 weeks for us to process any supporting evidence so it’s important you get this to us as soon as possible.

If we don’t receive evidence that we asked for, your child might not get the student finance they’re entitled to.

We ask for the 2017 to 2018 tax year income details because it’s the last full tax year when we open our applications.

If your income has dropped by at least 15% your child could get extra financial help. To find out more you can go to our Current Year Income assessment guide.

Household income includes you, your partner and your child. Your partner will be asked for their income details separately. You must only provide your own income details.

We ask for your partner’s income as they make up your combined household income.

If you are separated or divorced, we’ll usually ask for the income details of the parent your child is financially dependent on.

Contact us to get your questions answered

Our experts are available to answer your questions online Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm and Saturday 9am to 4pm.


We're always looking for ways to improve and we would appreciate if you took the time to complete our short feedback survey.


How You’re Assessed and Paid

  • find out more about how we calculate and assess your child’s application for student finance

Which? University

  • more information available for parents supporting their child’s student finance application


  • find out more about student loan repayments, how repayments are calculated and when your child will start repaying their student loan

The Parent Room

  • you can ask post any questions about supporting your child’s student finance application on our parent room on The Student Room


  • our parent film playlist can help you find out more about student finance from the application process to repayment